To configure Microsoft Outlook 2016 to send and receive email with the POP3 protocol over SSL, please follow the steps below. Please replace:
|firstname.lastname@example.org with your email address
example.com with your domain name
your_server.com with your server’s host name (you can find your server’s host name listed in the upper left corner of your Control Panel)
1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2016.
2. Choose “File” -> “Info” -> “Add Account“.
3. Select “Manual setup or additional server types” and click “Next“.
4. Choose “POP or IMAP” and click “Next“.
5. In the “Your name” field you should enter the name which you would like to appear on the messages you send.
You need to enter your e-mail address email@example.com in the “Email Address” field.
For incoming and outgoing mail servers you should use mail.your_server.com.
Enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the “User Name” field. In the “Password” field you need to enter the current password for this particular mailbox.
Leave the “Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” option unchecked.
You can leave the “Automatically test account settings when Next is clicked” option checked, in order to easily verify if your configuration is done correctly.
The “Deliver new messages to” option allows you to specify if you want the new account to have a new Outlook data file (the default option) or if you prefer to use an existing data file. The second option is useful if you want to receive the messages of multiple pop accounts into a single Outlook folder. If you are unsure, use the default selection.
Click “More Settings …“.
6. Click on the “Outgoing Server” tab. Mark the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” option and leave the default “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” option selected.
7. Click on the “Advanced” tab.
Mark the “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)” option. The incoming server port will be automatically changed to 995.
Set the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” port to 465, if still not working, please try 587.
Specify “TLS” at the “Use the following type of encrypted connection” setting.
Make your selections under the “Delivery” section on how to treat the messages on the server after they are downloaded on your computer.
8. Click “Next“. The account settings will be tested. Click “Close” and then “Finish“.